Thursday, May 10, 2012

A New Perspective: A Word From Our Interns




My name is Keri Topshe. I am a Junior and Marketing Major/Communications Minor at Roger Williams University here in Bristol, Rhode Island. Interning for Dawn at Oliveira Textiles has been a profound experience. It was my first experience working for not only a textile company, but an eco-conscious company as well. Coming from a school such as Roger Williams University, which was just rated in the Princeton Reviews for top "Green Colleges," I acknowledge that sustainability is a very important factor to consider in the world of business. As my research on sustainability and other related subjects increased, so did my interest. My favorite role in the experience was exploring Eco-friendly websites for facts and news that relate to the business of Oliveira Textiles. This research helped me understand the importance of corporate responsibility. Researching topics for my social media postings helped to introduce me to sustainable ideas outside of the norm. Not only was my web research a learning experience but also seeing how Oliveira Textiles’ business works down to the core was a great way to experience a small entrepreneurship. One day I hope to open my own business. Although I do not plan to be in the textile industry, assisting a small business venture really gave me a better grasp of the challenges faced by a start-up. It really amazes me how much Dawn Oliveira accomplishes in Oliveira Textiles' tiny studio, and how big of a difference Oliveira Textiles' mission could make for our planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment